Thursday, September 6, 2007

Admissions- The E-True Hollywood Story

Admissions- The E- True Hollywood Story (please cue dramatic music and gravely voiced announcer now)

So, rather than read about my mere musings on life in general, I've decided that what my dear readers really want to hear about today is life in admissions. Yes, the glamorous life of exotic travel, gourmet meals and 5 star hotels.

Working in admissions is a funny thing. You don't ever "major" in admissions. I mean, I'm telling you what, no textbook can prepare you for driving down a gravel road in northeast Iowa, rain soaked map in one hand, mascara smeared down your cheeks, hair looking like a million bucks, cell phone pinned between your shoulder and ear as you navigate the steering wheel with your knees and curse Mapquest for once again leading you down the wrong path. No, no prof of mine ever prepared me for such...they may have had PhD's and brains the size of a giant cantaloupes... but that doesn't help in said situations.

Admissions, as a general rule, has massive turnover- just behind the people who have to watch the timer on the deep fat fryer at McDonald's and the people who sit in cubicles all day working on status reports that report on their status reports (yeah, that would stink...) It's not that it's a bad job- but there are some quirky ins and outs that are worth mentioning.

The exotic travel- as previously mentioned the travel will take you far and wide. I've seen mountains of every shape and size. There was that one bluff in Sioux City. Striking really. There was that hill along I-80 in western Iowa. My stomach rolled for just a fraction of a second as I descended, if I hit the accelerator just right. Oh, and that one time there was that grassy knoll in Cedar Rapids- that was awesome. You get the idea- it's awe inspiring.

There is also gourmet meals to contend with. My typical travel day involves making a few stops at high schools, then finding a quaint little cafe to grab a bite between appointments. I tend to frequent a little know place called Casey's. I think it's owned by a french restaurateur, but I can't back that up. The last time I went there, the maitre de welcomed me, showed me the beautifully positioned glass display case where I was able to pick from an assortment of gourmet options. I think I opted for cheese curds and a BubbaBurger- Divine for sure! Unfortunately the dining room was full that day so I had to eat in my car. The sweet aroma of the vine ripened ketchup stuck with me the rest of the day reminding me of my meal. It was a beautiful thing!

Last but not least, we have 5 star hotels to deal with! I've stayed in nearly every town along I-80- from the western edge of Iowa to farthest reaches of Jones county in eastern Iowa. I've often had the delight of sleeping in rooms that open to the outside world- I like to call these 5 star "motels" if you will. Last fall I enjoyed the view overlooking the "industrial park" in one town. In another, the concierge showed me the way to the sauna. With all of the fuzzy growth coming through the wood I felt just like I was in a nature spa- it was so refreshing.

OK, maybe life on the road isn't ALWAYS glamorous, but I wouldn't joke about it if I didn't love every minute of it! I am just cut out for life of gas station dinners, Febreeze rather than detergent (useful for those business suits on the 4th consecutive day on the road) and maps that are laminated (because if they aren't, the first week on the road leaves them battered, torn, stained and generally looking very very sad). Plus, I mean, if an admissions counselor stays beyond the one year mark, that's pretty good. If they stay two, now that is saying something. Heck, I am going on 6 years- I should be Dean any day now!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so much to look forward to! :)

Tiff Hummel said...

Great minds think alike...LOL. Whatdya mean the Western IA bluffs aren't so glamorous?! I have to deal with palm trees & The Rockies! ;P j/k.

jfj said...

You need a trip to the wild side--SW Iowa. Life's good down there!

Kara said...

You need Bluetooth! It is the best thing ever invented. Hands free - so you can eat your cheeseburger, check your map, adjust the radio while listening to your voicemail at work.