Friday, August 31, 2007

Ahhh yes..... LABOR day

It's days like this that I LOVE what I do. Allow me to paint the picture. I am sitting in my office. Notice I said "office", not a "square, gray, lifeless, this-kind of resembles the little plastic box we used to carry our dog around in, is-this-a-recognized-form-of-torture, you-couldn't-squelch-my-creativity-any-more-if-you-tried" cubicle.

Allow my friend Dilbert to echo my sentiments:



Anywho... sitting here in my office, my window is open and the first fall-like day is blowing breeze into my office (blowing my papers off my desk and bringing with it a few bees... but that's beside the point).

I plan on leaving is just 3 hours, for a long weekend boating on a lake in southern Minnesota with the fam (thank you Central Labor Union circa 1882 for giving me Monday off)
*OK I had to Google that just now, I'll admit that....

Really, who knows what Labor Day means besides just a free day off of work? Please do enlighten me if you know because I honestly don't have to time to filter through Google's 110 million hits explaining it.

What I can tell you is what Labor Day means to me. Ironically, 2 years ago, as everyone else was enjoying a day off, eating hot dogs, throwing Frisbees and the like, I was literally going into LABOR! Like, gonna-have-a-baby, don't-even-think-it's-cute-to-make-a-joke-right-now-about-"labor", labor. Yes, I made my transition from hulking tank of 9 months of DQ Blizzards, prenatal vitamins and backaches, into a mother, all in the blink of an eye. (or 14 hours of backbreaking labor...but who's counting?)

So, as you are doing whatever it is you do over Labor Day, A) be thankful you aren't in actual labor and B) know that I am having a great time acting like an 18 year old- tubing, getting sunburned and staying up too late!

Have a great weekend!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may not have a window to feel the fall breeze, but I couldn't agree with you more on the cubicle situation...